American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
4 years ago

Can I ask a plastic surgeon to remove my puffy nipples??

I have had this problems for years now since entering puberty and finishing it i am now 24 I know i probably have gynecomastia but im not really focusing on that at the moment what i wanna know is if a plastic surgeon is willing to remove my nipples as they are puffy and are extremely sensitive i am male :) :). I had surgery on one of my nipples but the doctor botched and is mostly scar tissue.

Procedure: Male Breast Reduction
Location: miami, FL

Replies 6

Samir Shureih

Hello Marknaru89

Gynecomastia , can cause puffy nipples due to increase in the amount of breast tissue under the nipple.

Normally we do not remove the nipples, rather we work under the nipple through and incision around the areola.

Breast tissue removal with or without liposuction is very effective in achieving a normal appearance of the breast.

Since you had surgery before, there is some scar tissue. This can be dealt with.

Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and I am pretty sure they can advise you after a complete history and physical examination.

Suzanne Trott
ASPS Surgeon

Thank you for your question. The puffiness of the nipples will go down significantly and they can appear normal if the gynecomastia alone is addressed by removal of the breast tissue. They will shrink down. This will work even with the scar tissue there. Definitely see a board-certified plastic surgeon and they will be able to help you with this issue. It is VERY COMMON and easily treated. Good luck!

Elliot Jacobs
ASPS Surgeon

Puffy nipples are very common and are only caused by breast tissue directly under the nipple and pushing it out. Some surgeons erroneously think that they can just excise the tissue directly underneath -- but that is wrong. One must address the entire chest, which most often has excess tissues as well.

Do not be discouraged. Although you had prior surgery and there is scar tissue present, your situation can most likely be improved. Would suggest you consult a plastic surgeon with considerable interest and expertise in treatment of gynecomastia and in particular, revision surgery. You can read more about revision gynecomastia surgery on my website, which is specifically devoted to gynecomastia:

Good luck

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS

New York City

Nelson Castillo

Thank you for sharing your excellent question. In most cases a puffy nipple can be corrected with surgery to remove any underlying glandular tissue. I would seek out secondary opinions by ASPS board certified plastic surgeons in your area.

Katerina Gallus
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Hi Mark and thank you for your question. The surgery to correct gynecomastia also includes the correction of puffy and sensitive nipples. This is due to glandular tissue directly behind the nipple-areolar complex which can be addressed with direct excision and is often combined with liposuction for optimal results. I recommend that you seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can develop a plan that addresses your concerns. Best of luck!

Raj Mishra
ASPS Int. Surgeon

Hi, thanks for your question. I assume that you have you are over the recovery period from your previous surgery (more than a year) and the puffiness has not subsided. If so, then a revision can be done, and after an in-person 4-D examination, the plan of surgical method can be discussed with you. In such cases, where the glandular tissues are basically lying dirently beneath the nipple, I perform the criss-cross incision surgery (known as trans-nipple scarless surgery) and remove the excess tissue following liposuction. Liposuction is always mandatory for success of surgery. I suggest to see a certified plastic surgeon and get a consultation to discuss your options. All the best.


Patient Care Center