American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
one year ago

Can I go from a larger chest size to flat chested?

I'm 18, and my breasts have been causing me back, shoulder, and neck pain for years. I admire a flat chest and that is what I'd prefer but I don't know if that is possible with a breast reduction. I'd be going from a 34DD to (hopefully) flat chested. Is this possible with this kind of surgery?

Procedure: Breast Reduction
Type: Question

Replies 2

Troy Pittman
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Breast reduction is a tailor made operation. Most women can go significantly smaller. The most important thing is to keep the blood supply to your nipples. My recommendation is to see a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. I am located in Washington DC and would be happy to see you.

Michele Shermak
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites


It sounds like breast reduction may provide your solution! Most of the time breast reduction with significant tissue reduction and treatment of symptoms is covered by insurance.

I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best of luck!


Patient Care Center