American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
4 years ago

Mental crease

Hello I would like to ask what to do with the chin? I see a large gap between the chin and the lips. i found that thing is called mental crease. How can I reduce it? is it possible with refills or surgery required? my skin is thick, so i'm afraid the refills may not help. I really don't like the current image.


Procedure: Chin Surgery
Location: paris, ON - Singapore

Replies 4

Douglas Monasebian
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Good day and thank you for your question. Dr. Monasebian, our Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, will be able to address your concerns. He would have to see you in person to examine your chin, but he has successfully helped patients in the past with this condition both surgically and non surgically. We would be happy to see you if you are in the New York City area. Medical insurance may help cover the costs of the procedure if deemed medically necessary which can be determined at your consultation. We look forward to meeting you soon.

Regards, Dr. Monasebian and Park Avenue Plastic Surgery.

Sara Dickie
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Thank you for your question and for including such nice photos! The crease is clearly evident and probably a combination of your mentalis muscle (chin muscle) and your natural born anatomy where the tissue below the skin is thinner than in the chin (your profile photo shows that best). It would help to see you in person and see the movement of your lips and chin when you smile, frown and purse your lips. Most likely you will need a combination of something called subscision (releasing the skin crease from the tissue just underneath the crease), fillers (to fill in the space made by subscision) and a neuromodulator (aka, Botox) to relax the pull the mentalis muscle has on that spot. Typically this works as a one-time treatment, but you my need to continue the neuromodulator to keep the crease from coming back.

I highly recommend you see a plastic surgeon who specializes in aesthetics of the face for this and not just a spa injector.

Nelson Castillo

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs. Yes the breast you mentioned is the mental crease and can be treated with either dermal fillers or fat grafting to create a smoother, less indented, look. Seek out a specialist in consultation for the best treatment advice based on your goals.

Mauro Tarallo
ASPS Int. Surgeon

A combination of Filler and Botox should help.


Patient Care Center