American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
Daisy May
2 years ago

Dark Undereye Circles

Are there any procedures that would reduce the the look of my Undereye Circles? I've noticed when I have a pony tail in and my skin is pulled the circles appear lighter. Would a face lift help at all ?

Procedure: Cosmetic Surgery
Location: Chesapeake, VA

Replies 2

Daniel Allan

Your problem is very common. Eyelid skin is very thin and sits directly on the orbicularis muscle without any fat in between. Muscle is very vascular and thus appears red, but when seen through skin looks bluish-gray. A face lift will not help. Use makeup.

Robert Buchanan
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

What you have is very common. The under eye circles are generally known as "tear troughs." They are easily corrected with a heavy filler like Juvederm Voluma or Radiesse when done by an expert. Do not allow anyone to inject a lighter filler like Restylane , Belatero Balance or Juvederm Ultra as they are quite apt to cause problems. Look for a plastic surgeon who does both injectables and eye surgery and, thus, understands the anatomy of the area very well.


Patient Care Center