American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
one year ago


Hi, I’m 16 years old and I have had gynecomastia for about 3 and a half years and I’m embarrassed of my body and I went to a breast doctor and they said that I have to wait until I’m 18 and didn’t give me any treatments or advice on what to do and I was wondering if testosterone accelerator would reduce gynecomastia in any way?

Procedure: Male Breast Reduction
Location: deir hanna, AK - Israel

Replies 4

Debra Johnson
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

It is not uncommon for young men to have a degree of gynecomastia. It usually resolves later in the teen years. But in some it persists and causes embarrassment, anxiety and difficulty camouflaging the excess fullness in clothing. If you have stopped growing (no increase in height or shoe size in the past year) then a plastic surgeon would consider surgery for you. There aren't any hormones or drugs that can diminish breast size that I know of. If your parents are supportive, I would suggest they take you to a plastic surgeon (you can find Israeli International members of ASPS by using the Find-A-Surgeon link on this website).

Javier Valero Gasalla
ASPS Int. Surgeon

You should check that the origin of your gynecomastia does not have an origin in the presence of a disease or in the consumption of drugs such as Finasteride, proton pump inhibitors, some treatments used for tuberculosis. You should also be aware that marijuana use (tetrahydrocannabinol) has been linked to gynecomastia (and other testosterone-derived disorders). If not, waiting for maturity (when you stop growing) is the right thing to do, since both pubertal gynecomastia and obesity secondary usually disappear between 20 and 21 years of age. If what you really have is pseudoginecomastia (fat without breast augmentation) you could undergo liposuction. You can find a surgeon in your area by using Find A Surgeon in this website

Elliot Jacobs
ASPS Surgeon

Many teenage boys have some degree of gynecomastia, which is usually of unknown origin (genes do play a role). Many doctors advocate continued waiting for it to disappear or for you to wait until the "magical age of 18" at which time, miraculously, it will disappear overnight. That is all nonsense. If your gynecomastia has been present and stable in size for 3 1/2 years, it is there to stay beyond age 18 and into your 20's and beyond. Many surgeons believe if you operate on it now, that it may return -- also nonsense. I have operated on over 250 teenage boys, from age 12 - 18, and non of them has experienced a recurrence. The bottom line is that as long as there is no underlying hormonal abnormality or use of medication which could cause gynecomastia, then surgery on you at age 16 is perfectly feasible. I have a website entirely devoted to treatment of gynecomastia. read about adolescent gyne here:

Nelson Castillo

Thank you for sharing your question. Assuming your gynecomastia has been worked up, you should be a candidate for surgical correction now. Seek out in-person consultations to get the best advice.


Patient Care Center