American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
5 years ago

I have a problem with my eyes: Do I need a blethoraplasty ? or ptosis surgery? or

Hi ! I have a problem with my eyes: Do I need a blethoraplasty ? or ptosis surgery? not sure which one s gonna fix the asymetria!

Procedure: Eyelid Surgery
Location: Orlando, FL

Replies 6

Jon Ver Halen

Dear Lina,

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. It is best to answer your question during a face-to-face evaluation, when you can discuss your goals and expectations for the procedure, and you can have a physical examination to evaluate for that procedure. I recommend that you find a board-certified, or board-eligible plastic surgeon with whom you are comfortable. Be sure to have all of your questions answered during a face-to-face meeting with your surgeon, and review before and after pictures of similar patients whom have had this procedure. If you have any questions, call our office for assistance. Good luck!

Debra Johnson
ASPS Surgeon

Blepharoplasty is performed for people with excess skin on their upper lids which makes them look tired. Ptosis surgery is for patients who have an elongation of the upper lid muscle that causes the lid to droop and cover more of the iris. Some patients need both procedures performed! Your best bet is to consult with an ASPS member surgeon and get advice on what would be the most appropriate treatment for your asymmetry.

Trent Douglas
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Thanks so much for your question and doing your homework with ASPS member surgeons. Your best starting place is an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who has extensive experience in eyelid surgery. There are elements of the physical examination that will allow your surgeon to determine if ptosis surgery is necessary or if your goals can be met with blepharoplasty. Best wishes on a great result and speedy recovery.

Susan Buenaventura
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Hello, and it sounds like you may have ptosis. An ASPS plastic surgeon or an oculoplastic surgeon can evaluate you to see if you have upper eyelid ptosis, excess skin, or both. If you have ptosis, the levator muscle needs to be repaired. That is the muscle that opens and closes your upper eyelid. Patients with ptosis tend to look tired because their eyelids are droopy. Excess upper lid skin from the natural process of aging can be removed with blepharoplasty. Distinguishing between the two is an important part of the pre operative evaluation. Best wishe!

Nelson Castillo

Thank you for sharing your excellent question. Unfortunately without photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice and I would recommend seeking out a series of ASPS board certified plastic surgeons in consultation to discuss treatment options after an appropriate diagnosis of your asymmetry is made. Hope this helps.

Edward Domanskis

I would recommend sending photos of your eyes to get a better understanding of what concerns you and what could be done. Dr. Ed Domanskis

Dr. Edward Domanskis is certified by American Board of Plastic Surgery

Newport Beach, Miami, Anguilla, EU, Nassau


Patient Care Center