American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
one year ago

Implant Check-up - BIA-ALCL

I am having Allergan textured implants with the high risk of developing BIA-ALCL and I am searching for a doctor who is familiar with that and can do an ultrasound to check on my implants. Can you tell recommend a doctor for that? And/or know how to go about it? Thank you.

Procedure: Breast Implant Revision
Location: Page, AZ

Replies 4

Ben Childers
ASPS Surgeon

Hello, There is a very low risk of developing BIA-ALCL. In general, the patient who is developing ALCL, would get fluid around the implant. Your breast would get larger. If this happens then you should have someone see you. If you are concerned then you can have your implants removed, do a capsulectomy and you can replace your implants if you wish. You can get replacement implants from Allergan also.

There are any number of plastic surgeons that you could see in your area. I do a lot of breast surgery. I have had two patient that I though had BIA-ALCL, however they did not. It is rare. For peace of mind , It presently is not recommended to remove your implants, however for your peace of mind you could have them removed capsulectomy and replacement.

 Show more Replies  Replies 1 less
Alfred Antonetti
ASPS Surgeon

First of all, the risk is very small. If you are concerned visit a local plastic surgeon or your own doctor to order a mammogram if they feel indicated. If the radiologist thinks an ultrasound is indicated they will tell you.

Rahul Vemula
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Thank you very much for this question! This is a very common concern amongst women that have had the Allergan textured bio cell implants.

For BIA-ALCL The most common presenting symptom is a painless swelling that occurs. This is then usually investigated by an ultrasound and removal of any fluid that may have accumulated and sending it to the lab to test for specific markers that may indicate that there is ALCL present.

If you are concerned about the implant. You should seek the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon in order to determine the next step.

In my practice, I see many patients who are concerned about developing ALCL with their textured implants. Some women choose to leave them in and monitor for symptoms, and others request removal of the implants with or without replacement with smooth implants. However, you would need to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon, in order to figure out what the proper thing for you would be.

Best wishes!


Patient Care Center