American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
2 years ago

Mommy Makeover

I am a 36 year old physically fit mother of two children (3 and 2). No matter what I do I cannot get the separation between my abdominal muscles to close and I still have sagging in my breasts. Are there any recommended surgeons in the DC, VA, or MD area?

Procedure: Breast Augmentation
Location: Fairfax, VA

Replies 7

William Lao
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites


Your situation is common for ladies after giving birth, especially those after multiple children or twins. The separated abdominal muscles can be tightened during an abdominoplasty procedure (tummy tuck) and your breast can also be lifted or volumized in many ways.

Hope this information helps,

Dr. Lao New York

Kirit Bhatt
ASPS Surgeon

Hello EboniB,

This is a very good question that I often get from my patients. Your condition often occurs after multiple pregnancies. The separation of the abdominal muscles can be corrected with a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), and the sagging breasts can commonly be corrected with a lift and/or breast implants. I do mommy makeovers in fully certified and private operating rooms in our office, and I would be happy to discuss your specific situation in my McLean, VA office. Best wishes!

David Berman
ASPS Surgeon

you will likely benefit from a tummy tuck, where i can repair your diastasis recti (muscle separation). i can also address your breasts at the same time. I would be happy to see you in consultation. I am located in northern Va.

david berman md

Susan Buenaventura
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Hello Eboni,

The muscle separation is common after a second pregnancy and can be repaired surgically (diastasis repair). It really isn't possible to bring it back into proper position with exercise alone. Traditional abdominal exercises ( crunches, sit-ups) tend to make the diastasis worse. Planks and isometric type exercises are good. It sounds like you are a candidate for diastasis repair and possibly tummy tuck if you have excess skin as well. I am in Alexandria, VA and tummy tuck is one of my specialties. I would be delighted to see you for evaluation and since you are referred through ASPS we waive the consultation fee. Sagging breasts may just need a breast lift or perhaps implants or both, depending on your physical exam and your wishes. Good luck to you and hope to hear from you. Dr. Susan Buenaventura

Nelson Castillo

Thank you for sharing your excellent question. Unfortunately the changes that occur with aging and pregnancy - muscle separation and excess skin development, can rarely be exercised away. If you are at your goal weight and otherwise happy with your current appearance, only surgery can hep to repair your abdominal muscle separation and loose breast skin. Use this website’s “find a surgeon” search feature for ASPS surgeons in your area. Best wishes.

Edward Domanskis

It sounds like you are a perfect candidate for TT which brings the muscles together and flatytens it and brings waist in. I see many patients in my various offices.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Newport Beach, San Francisco,Miami, EU, Anguilla,Nassau


FAX- 949.640-7347

Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine)

Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors

Plastic Surgery- 2005-2018

President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons

Organoderm Skin care/ScaRxTape

Jon Ver Halen
ASPS Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. You can use the "find a surgeon" tool on this website to located a surgeon who performs these techniques in your area. It is best to answer your question during a face-to-face evaluation, when you can discuss your goals and expectations for the procedure, and you can have a physical examination to evaluate for that procedure. I recommend that you find a board-certified, or board-eligible plastic surgeon with whom you are comfortable. Be sure to have all of your questions answered during a face-to-face meeting with your surgeon, and review before and after pictures of similar patients whom have had this procedure. If you have any questions, call our office for assistance. Good luck!


Patient Care Center