American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
4 years ago

"Puffy" nipples

I have what some may call "puffy" or large nipples. I do not have gynecomastia, just larger nipples than I would prefer. Would a procedure be possible in order to make them slightly smaller/remove some of the tissue underneath? If so, how much would this cost? Thank you!

Procedure: Breast Reduction
Location: Hilliard, OH

Replies 4

Susan Buenaventura
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Hello John, it sounds like you have tuberous breast tissue where the breast tissue is herniated into the nipple/areola area. This can be corrected with surgery around the areola to allow the tissue to drop back in . It will leave a fairly well concealed scar. Sometimes this is all that is needed, but if excess tissue needs to be removed, it can be done at the same time. Cost varies widely with state and type of facility. In my accredited office facility, I ESTIMATE this would run about $6000 (including surgery and anesthesia. It is a life changer for men and will make your chest look "normal". Best wishes to you. Check into Care Credit as well which can help finance the surgery.

Nelson Castillo

Thank you for sharing your question. It is possible to reduce the size, or puffiness, that some men experience in their nipples and areola. This can often be done with a small, in-office procedure so see a series of ASPS board certified plastic surgeons in consultation to discuss.

Lori Cherup
ASPS Surgeon

John, you have a form of gynecomastia. You need the excisional portion of the gynecomastia surgery that decreases the thickness of the sub-areolar tissue. The areolar diameter and projection will shrink. The risks involve noticeable scarring around 1/3 of the areola, and areolar numbness. Look on my website at gynecomastia surgery, and I bet you will find similar cases. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon. Let me know if I can help you. Lori L. Cherup, MD,FACS, Pittsburgh

Jose Luis Valero
ASPS Int. Surgeon

In the past, I have operated upon enlarged, popped-out male and female nipples, not necessarily those seen in tuberous breast, with nice and fair results, by the partial reduction itself of the nipple length and/or diameter. So, I recommend searching for a Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and have a consultation with him/her, so you can show your area that you wish to be corrected. It´s suppose not to be a really expensive matter. Good search!


Patient Care Center