American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
one year ago

Multiple Lipomas - A Community in Need

To the ASPS Community:

If you were to be challenged to reduce / eliminate dozens (to potentially hundreds) of pea-sized / nickel-sized lipomas that exist primarily bunched together in the subcutaneous layer of the entire torso on a healthy, adequately fit male, and traditional surgical excision was NOT an option, how would you do it with success? If a new procedure, would you consider a trial?

Procedure: General Reconstruction
Location: Woodinville, WA

Replies 5

Sasanka Chatterjee
ASPS Int. Surgeon

There is a procedure in which incisions are small through which multiple bunches of lipomatous growths can be squeezed out. This is different from traditional surgical excision. Liposuction is also a procedure but cannot recommend it for a growth though usually benign.

Alfred Antonetti
ASPS Surgeon

There is no magic. Surgical excision is the only answer. It could be done through small incisions probably. Visit a local plastic surgeon or general surgeon for consultation

Robert Oliver
ASPS Surgeon

if you have Madelung's Disease (a systemic lipomatosis characterized by sometimes hundreds of lipomas), 1) some will regress if you avoid alcohol completely apparently (there's some enzyme that plays a role that is stimulated by alcohol) 2) sometimes excision of severe Madelung disease cases can be harmful as the subcutaneous tissues can be completely replaced and undermining skin flaps can compromise circulation. Liposuction works better for that, particularly on the head/neck. If it's just small discreet nodules, small stab incisions and squeezing them out can be done safely

Raffy Karamanoukian
ASPS Surgeon

I would agree with the experts on the discussion. Surgical excision with micro incisions is ideal.


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Tanongsak Panyawirunroj
ASPS Int. Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Multiple lipoma treatment could be done through multiple small incisions extraction. Visit a local plastic surgeon or general surgeon for consultation.


Patient Care Center