American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
2 years ago


Hello, who should I call to schedule an MRI to have my breast implants checked? I was told by my PS to have an mri done every 3 years. (I have silicone textured implants and had them done 5 years ago!) Anyways He is no longer practicing and the office has been permanently closed. I was told to contact PCP and schedule an MRI but bunch of loops to go through before they will do MRI. I just need MRI

Procedure: Breast Augmentation
Location: Waterford, MI

Replies 5

Rahul Vemula
ASPS Surgeon

Thanks for your question. Your PCPcan write for the MRI as well as your ob / gyn. You can also find another plastic surgeon that is willing to take over your care that can also order the MRI. I also strongly encourage you to have routine breast cancer screening with mammograms. When you go for your mammograms be sure to tell your mammo technician that you have implants so that they can perform and implant displacement technique to do the study. Best wishes!

Rahul Vemula, MD - Plastic Surgery of the Face and Body

Diplomate of The American Board of Plastic Surgery

Diplomate of The American Board of Surgery

Active Member, ASPS

 Show more Replies  Replies 1 less
Tracy McCall
ASPS Surgeon

I am glad you are following up with the MRI. Your plastic surgeon would have recommended someone to see his patients. I don't know who your surgeon was, but I know most of the people who were practicing in this area. I see that you list Milwaukee as home. I think most of us in this area would see you. I can't just order the MRI for you without seeing you, but if you'll call the office we can get you in for an exam and order the study. My nurse, Kristen, knows the prices at the various centers very well and is a great resource. My office is located in Waukesha right off 94. Please call 262-523-1200 and we will get you set up for an exam.

 Show more Replies  Replies 1 less
Susan Buenaventura
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

The best thing to do is find a new plastic surgeon to consult with, obtain your records if possible. While the FDA did suggest an MRI every three years to follow silicone implants, it is best to work with a plastic surgeon to use if this is appropriate for you. I like to check my implant patients once per year, and there are any clinical concerns we'll get the MRI on schedule. Good luck!

Nelson Castillo

Thank you for sharing your excellent question. In general, either your PCP, OB/GYN, or new plastic surgeon can write for you to obtain an MRI to evaluate the integrity of your implants. Hope this helps.

Ruben Abrams
ASPS Surgeon

Most insurance companies will try to evade doing your follow-up MRI for breast implants, especially if it is a managed care which requires you to go through your PCP. In my practice my patients are referred to a radiology center which will do their MRI for a very reasonable cash price. You will need to obtain a doctor's order, so you may be able to book a complimentary consultation with one of the local plastic surgeons. Hope that helps.


Patient Care Center