American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
5 years ago

New life

I have a 16 year son that I’m thinking about taking him for consultation for gynecomastia surgery.I read the information in this site and now wondering if it’s necessary after it said it may flatten out in his twenties

Procedure: Breast Reduction
Location: Abington, PA

Replies 5

Joseph Kelamis
ASPS Surgeon

Gynecomastia is very common for adolescent boys. Most experience it and are very hesitant to say so. It usually appears at the beginning of puberty and it usually resolves without surgery. However, if the "lump" has been present for over 12 months, it will not go away completely without surgery. So, for most 16 year old males, the lumps have been there for years, and I see these patients frequently needing surgery to completely remove the mass. In other words, you will not see the lumps flatten out in later years. I highly recommend having your son evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (use the "Find a Surgeon" link on this site). The plastic surgeon will be able to discuss the possible treatment options, and provide piece if mind. I am certain that 20 minutes with a plastic surgeon will provide you and your son all the information for him to make the best decision. Best regards, and thank you for the excellent question!

Nelson Castillo

Thank you for sharing your excellent question. Gynecomastia may spontaneously regress in patients but if present for over a year it is most likely that he will need surgical correction. Best to see a surgeon for at least a consultation so that you can get the best advice.

Mark Solomon
ASPS Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Adolescent gynecomastia is common. Most times, it resolves after several years. However, gynecomastia may be due to other factors such as medications. The best option is to see a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who can evaluate your son and provide you with the options available Presently ,there are no nonsurgical means to remove breast tissue. However, most of us perform surgery for gynecomastia on a regular basis and can provide details about surgical options, if they are appropriate at this time for your son.

Enriquillo Clime Rivera
ASPS Int. Surgeon

I think is important to take your son to a consultation with a certified plastic surgeon, because in most young mens knowing that the condition could solved by itself can be really helpful.

In case that treatment its necessary its important to discuss all the options and techniques.

Paul Parker
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

If your son's gynecomastia has been present for more than a year of two, it is unlikely to resolve by itself. Obtain a face to face consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so he can be examined and treatment options discussed.


Patient Care Center