American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
5 years ago

Loose skin between breasts

After breast augmentation I have this loose skin that looks like a flap between and connected to my breasts. Does this issue have a name and why it happens? Do I need surgery to get rid of it? I can’t find this issue with anyone else.

Procedure: Breast Augmentation
Location: columbia, TN

Replies 4

Gary Culbertson
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites


Sounds like you are describing what is called synmastia? This is more common with patients with very large breasts. Often when these patients lay down their breasts are so big they slide up to their necks and chock them.


gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Jon Ver Halen

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. It is difficult to say specifically what the flap of tissue is, although it is possible that you have a small area of symmastia. This happens if implants are placed too closely together, or if you have redundant skin between your breasts that is accentuated after your implants are placed. I suggest that you seek a face to face consultation with your surgeon to discuss your concerns. Good luck!

Nelson Castillo

Thank you for sharing your excellent question. Although this condition does not have a name I have seen it in patients with either congenital synmastia or patients who have very wide implants placed (coincidentally i see this more in patients interested in breast reduction surgery than after breast augmentation). There is no standard treatment but occasionally either liposuction of the area, or a breast lift to remove excess skin can improve the results. This would depend on an in-person examination. Hope this helps.

Paul Parker
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Not really sure what is going on with out an exam or picture. I suggest you return to your surgeon to discuss you concerns with them as well as be examined. You should be able to learn what is going on and what can be done to rectify it.


Patient Care Center