American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
5 years ago

Would this be plastic or reconstructive surgery?

I was born with a deformity on my lip, on the bottom corner. It's like a large bump. It leaks clear liquid sometimes in the morning always from the same spot, almost like saliva and I accidentally bit it a lot. It's very visible on the outside of my mouth and I've always wanted it removed. I've looked it up and I can't find what it might actually be.

Procedure: Lip Augmentation/Enhancement
Location: Towson, MD

Replies 3

Gary Culbertson
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Consider a visit with an ASPS member in your area for removal of what sounds like a mucous cyst in your mouth. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Rachel Scott
ASPS Surgeon

Thank you for asking! This sounds like a mucocele, or lip cyst. These are fairly common, and can usually easily be removed. To know the diagnosis for sure, the tissue is sent for pathology evaluation. Because it is technically not a 100% "normal" lip and is removed to solve a problem/make a diagnosis, this is a medical (reconstructive) not cosmetic procedure. A board certified plastic surgeon, or sometimes an oral surgeon should be able to take care of this for you. Best wishes!

Nelson Castillo

Thank you for sharing your excellent question. I would recommend seeking a diagnosis through consultation with multiple physicians in your area. Once diagnosed the appropriate treatment recommendation can be made. Hope this helps.


Patient Care Center