American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
4 years ago


So I have a small brown birthmark on my face, it’s about 1 by 1 and a half cm right under my cheekbone, what would my options be towards this and would the cost be a lot, and would plastic surgery be the best way to go?

Procedure: Cosmetic Surgery
Location: liberal, KS

Replies 2

Susan Buenaventura
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Hello, if it is mainly brown it will likely respond to a combination of laser and broad band light. Birthmarks can be at varying depths in the skin and clinical evaluation and your skin's response to the treatment will dictate treatment endpoints. It woukd be common to need multiple sessions which will affect cost. I would definitely recommend seeing a plastic surgeon first to determine if surgery or laser is best.

Nelson Castillo

Thank you for sharing your excellent question. There are many options that may improve the appearance of the birth mark between topical agents, lasers, and surgery. I would see a series of plastic surgeons in consultation to discuss the best option for you!


Patient Care Center