American Society of Plastic Surgeons
For Medical Professionals
Nick Ferreira
4 years ago

Skew nose

Hi. I broke my nose when I was young and over the past few years it has got increasingly bigger and more prominently skew with a bulge on the one side. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

Procedure: Rhinoplasty
Location: Cape Town, WC - South Africa

Replies 5

Mark Constantian

Yes, definitely. Often there are associated breathing problems after a nasal fracture. The treatment will depend on whether you also have a bump on the bridge or whether it is straight, but certainly you can have better symmetry and a much better airway. Be sure to see a surgeon who is experienced in this kind of problem and whose photographic results with cases like yours you like.

Edward Domanskis

Yes, you can have a rhinoplasty to help with the problems you mention. I would recommend sending photos to get a better idea and give you an estimate to improve.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Newport Beach, San Francisco,Miami, EU, Anguilla

Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine)

Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors

Plastic Surgery- 2005-2018

President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons

Organoderm Skin care/ScaRxTape

Nelson Castillo

Thank you for sharing your question. In most cases a formal rhinoplasty can be performed to correct the nasal deformity created with the break. Talk to an ASPS surgeon during an in-person evaluation.

Manish Shah
ASPS Surgeon
Add to Favorites

Hello. Thanks for your question. Depending on the state of the anatomy of your nose, you can definitely make improvements to both the aesthetics and the function of your nose. With a history of nasal fracture, there are often functional breathing problems that develop over time. A consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist near you would be needed to assess your goals, evaluate your starting anatomy, and develop a surgical plan to make the necessary improvements to your nose. As long as you are older than 17 years old, your face has completed its growth and can be safely operated upon, in terms of rhinoplasty surgery.

I hope this help!

Dr. Shah

Jon Harrell
ASPS Surgeon

Post traumatic nasal deformities can almost always be improved with nasal surgery. Seek a surgeon versed in nasal surgery. A consultation should be able to provide you with a detailed treatment plan to address the issues that concern you. Best of Luck Dr Harrell


Patient Care Center