American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Log In For Medical Professionals
New to the ASPS website? If you don’t already have a login, please create a free account to ask a question.

Tummy Tuck

Superpubic large fat pad

williams63 stewart, MS
7 months ago

Had gastric bypass 2002 17lb skin apron removed 2010 now large superpubic fat pad want to know if there a medical grade compression for this problem have tried spans and even griddle but it is still noticeable through clothing griddle was a nightmare. Was told Lipo would not help would be lots of loose skin hanging would have to be surgeries procedure I am now 63 was told that at my age I should

Debra Johnson, MD Sacramento, CA
7 months ago

A lot of patients who have undergone massive weight loss after gastric bypass end up with a very fatty and hanging mons pubis.

This can usually be addressed by a combination of liposuction and skin/fat removal. Sometimes the central portion of the scar you have from the panniculectomy can be redone to correct this, and sometimes this might require removal of a vertical wedge from the mons leaving you with additional scarring. You should consult with an ASPS-member surgeon in your area (check the Find a Surgeon link) regarding your options. While insurance often pays for the abdominal panniculectomy, they may not cover the treatment of the mons if they consider it "cosmetic".

Donald Griffin, MD Nashville, TN
7 months ago

Correcting your mons is a fairly simple straight forward procedure requiring some combination of liposuction and skin removal. Your age should not be a factor as long as you are in reasonable health. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in doing procedures on massive weight loss patients.

Steven Wallach, MD New York, NY
7 months ago

Many times either liposuction or direct excision will improve the appearance of the mons pubis.

I have seen this problem many times. Liposuction is my preferred first step in addressing a mons pubis which is creating an issue by being protuberant. Usually this can be done under local anesthesia alone. If the pubic skin is saggy then removal of the excess skin is indicated as a secondary procedure. It is amazing how much the skin can shrink over 6 months after the adipose (fat) tissue is removed. I prefer to address the mons pubis excess at the time of the abdominoplasty. See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultatuion. Good luck...

Jon Ver Halen, MD Colleyville, TX
7 months ago

Dear Williams63,

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. I agree with many comments on this thread. Treatment of this area will typically involve liposuction and/or direct skin excision. It is best to answer your question during a face-to-face evaluation, when you can discuss your goals and expectations for the procedure, and you can have a physical examination to evaluate for that procedure. I recommend that you find a board-certified, or board-eligible plastic surgeon with whom you are comfortable. Be sure to have all of your questions answered during a face-to-face meeting with your surgeon, and review before and after pictures of similar patients whom have had this procedure. If you have any questions, call our office for assistance. Good luck!

Jed Horowitz, MD Newport Beach, CA
7 months ago

Generally a pubic lift is the best option along with liposuction of some type. This can be done under any type of anaesthesia including local in the office


Patient Care Center