American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Log In For Medical Professionals
New to the ASPS website? If you don’t already have a login, please create a free account to ask a question.

Tummy Tuck

post hysterectomy scar repair

hwysk5 Fishkill, NY
4 months ago

I had a hysterectomy Dec. 21, 2017. I now have a big lip of skin over the scar. How long do I need to wait before being evaluated to correct it. I'm 5'6" and weigh 136 and I've never had a big stomach so this really bothers me. Thank you.

Darren Smith, MD New York, NY
4 months ago

Hi - thank you for your question. Those lips of skin can be very frustrating! The good news is that they are very straightforward to correct. I generally recommend waiting about a year after an initial surgery to re-operate on the same area, so you are all set whenever you feel ready.

William Lao, MD New York, NY
4 months ago

Hello, typically it takes about one year for the scar to mature, but in some people it can take up to one year and half for the scar to continue to change. But what you are describing sounds like there is tethering of scar tissue from the surface all the way down to muscle fascia underneath, that's why the skin and soft tissue on top overhangs or is more prominent relative to the scar. It is not difficult to correct but will likely need to revise the scar and release the tethering. Still need to examine it in person to know exactly what you need.

Dr. Lao

Steven Wallach, MD New York, NY
4 months ago

Your scar is now more than a year old. It sounds reasonable at this point to go to a plastic surgeon to be properly evaluated for a possible scar revision or even a mini or full tummy tuck. Best of luck.

If your weight has been relatively stable for the past six months, now would be a reasonable time to have a consultation to discuss options.

Susan Buenaventura, MD Alexandria, VA
4 months ago

Your scar is over a year old, so you are ready for revision if you wish. There is something about the way the skin was closed after the hysterectomy that created the deformity. A plastic surgeon can excise the entire scar, some skin around it and resuture it to be flat and smooth. This is something I would do under anesthesia, not local. Good luck!

Nelson Castillo, MD Atlanta, GA
4 months ago

Thank you for sharing your excellent question. After over a year's time you would be an excellent candidate for a scar revision, mini or full tummy tuck procedure to resolve your overhanging skin issue. Hope this helps.

Edward Domanskis, MD Newport Beach, CA
4 months ago

You should see a plastic surgeon to evaluate but you should be able to have that excised to make it flatter for you. You could probably have it done under a local anesthetic.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Newport Beach, San Francisco,Miami, EU, Anguilla


FAX- 949.640-7347

Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine)

Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors

Plastic Surgery- 2005-2018

President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons

Organoderm Skin care/ScaRxTape

Jon Ver Halen, MD Colleyville, TX
4 months ago

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. It is best to answer your question during a face-to-face evaluation, when you can discuss your goals and expectations for the procedure, and you can have a physical examination to evaluate for that procedure. I recommend that you wait at least 6 months before revising the incision (and you are well outside of this range). I recommend that you find a board-certified, or board-eligible plastic surgeon with whom you are comfortable. Be sure to have all of your questions answered during a face-to-face meeting with your surgeon, and review before and after pictures of similar patients whom have had this procedure. If you have any questions, call our office for assistance. Good luck!


Patient Care Center