American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Log In For Medical Professionals
New to the ASPS website? If you don’t already have a login, please create a free account to ask a question.


Scar revision

brittany786 union, NJ
2 months ago

Hello I’m looking for a doctor to take a look at the scar on my forehead that I got from a car accident. I am wondering how much it would cost to get it fixed. I’ve never been under the knife before so don’t know how to go about it. I’m willing to send pictures for an estimate of the cost. Thank you.

Jerrold Zeitels, MD Springfield, NJ
2 months ago

The scar revision may or may not be covered through your automobile insurance since it resulted from an accident. The fee would be influenced by the severity of the scar and if it was amenable to revision under local anesthesia in the office. If you would like to discuss it further I would be happy to give you more specific information as to a fee for the procedure. My office is located near you in Springfield, New Jersey.

Dr. Jerrold Zeitels

Steven Wallach, MD New York, NY
2 months ago

I’d be more than happy to look at your photos. However, it is always best to be seen in person because photos are not that accurate and an exam in person really gives the best assessment. You can send them with a note to Good luck

Robert Herbstman, MD, FACS East Brunswick, NJ
2 months ago


There are different techniques that can be used to improve/ camouflage the appearance of scars. As you have read, most board certified plastic surgeons can perform these procedures under local anesthesia in office to keep the out of pocket expense lower. Although photos can give a rough idea of what may be involved, a personal consultation is best. For more info feel free to contact our office at

Robert Herbstman, MD FACS

President, NJ Society of Plastic Surgeons

Rahul Vemula, MD Wall Township, NJ
2 months ago

Thanks for your question. Depending on how bad the scar is, we may be able to do it under local anesthesia in the office. My office is not too far from you, if would like to come in to discuss

Rahul Vemula, MD - Plastic Surgery of the Face and Body

Diplomate of The American Board of Plastic Surgery

Diplomate of The American Board of Surgery

Active Member, ASPS

I see hundreds of scars a year. Visibility of a scar is what needs to be addressed. Are the scars indented?, are they hypo or hyper pigmented? Are they raised? Different treatments are indicated for each of the problems. LASER can be used for redness or hyper pigmentation. Silicone sheeting, Silagen , steroid injections or cream maybe indicated for raised scars. Indented scars can be freed up, filled in or excised. Hypo pigmented scars can be treated with meticulous tattooing. See a board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon in consultation. Good luck...

Nelson Castillo, MD Atlanta, GA
2 months ago

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your scar. Without being able to feel the tissues or see photos, it is difficult to offer definite advice. I would recommend seeking out numerous consultations with board certified plastic surgeons in your area to discuss treatment options.


Patient Care Center