American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Log In For Medical Professionals
New to the ASPS website? If you don’t already have a login, please create a free account to ask a question.

Breast Reduction

Breast Reduction Correction

Carly1995 Spokane, WA
one month ago

I had a breast reduction in November 2018. I was originally a 34H and I wanted to go down to a 34D. After the procedure they were perfect size, however after all the swelling went down I am now about an A cup, a B cup at most and I'm miserable. I never wanted to be so small chested but I can't afford a 6000 augmentation. What are my options? Would insurance cover anything? I'm unhappy.....

Susan Buenaventura, MD Alexandria, VA
one month ago

You should consult in person with your breast reduction surgeon. It's unusual to shrink from a D to an A just from swelling. It's also very difficult to predict an exact cup size. If you feel you are too small now then your best option would be to consider implants. Unfortunately insurance does not cover elective breast implants. Your surgeon may be able to help reduce your out of pocket cost. The important thing is that you are happy with your breast size in the end!

James Chappell, MD Annapolis, MD
one month ago

Having interacted with insurance companies for over 20 years, I think it highly unlikely that insurance would cover augmentation . I would speak with your surgeon about this as they may be in the best position to give you better pricing.

Nelson Castillo, MD Atlanta, GA
one month ago

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of the unanticipated results with your reduction. Unfortunately the only options that remain would either be placement of breast implants or a fat transfer procedure to add volume to your results.

Wendell Perry, MD Hollywood, FL
one month ago

Breast augmentation with implant and fat injection to the breast would be your options. Unfortunately insurance will never pay for either of these procedures.

Dear Carly1995,

I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with your results. To go from a 34H to an A cup would be an extreme change in cup size for a breast reduction. At this point, you could consider implants or fat grafting to your breasts to increase the volume. Unfortunately, as these procedure are considered cosmetic, insurance will not cover them.

Good luck,

Nirmal R. Nathan, M.D.

• Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery

• Member, American Society of Plastic Surgeons

Jon Ver Halen, MD Colleyville, TX
one month ago

Hello and thank you for your excellent question. I agree with many comments on this thread. You may be an excellent candidate for fat transfer to the breasts, but this will not be covered by insurance. It is best to answer your question during a face-to-face evaluation, when you can discuss your goals and expectations for the procedure, and you can have a physical examination to evaluate for that procedure. I recommend that you find a board-certified, or board-eligible plastic surgeon with whom you are comfortable. Be sure to have all of your questions answered during a face-to-face meeting with your surgeon, and review before and after pictures of similar patients whom have had this procedure. Good luck!

Paul Parker, MD Paramus, NJ
one month ago

I would think breast augmentation is your best option. Discuss your displeasure with your surgeon as well as options such as augmentation.


Patient Care Center