American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Log In For Medical Professionals
New to the ASPS website? If you don’t already have a login, please create a free account to ask a question.

Looking for suggestions.

So last August I had the bartholin glad completely removed. The incision got infected and tore a hole in the labia. I got a 2nd surgery in November to fix the hole. It go infected again so it reopened. I went and saw two surgeons to try to fix the problem. I didn’t like what they said. I want it closed. Does anyone know of any way/ a surgeon in PA/MD that would be able to help?

ssomme , MD
3 months ago

Category: Vaginal Rejuvenation

Barry Citron, MD, FACS West Orange, NJ
3 months ago


As plastic surgeons, we are prepared to do all types of reconstructive surgery because we apply the principles of plastic surgery to many different types of problems. But we are not the only surgeons who are qualified to do surgery. From your description, it seems that a gynecological surgeon should be directing your care. Gynecological oncologists who perform cancer surgery and reconstruction are a particularly highly skilled group of surgeons. You should seek consultation and care from a gynecologic surgeon. Best wishes.

Nelson Castillo, MD Atlanta, GA
3 months ago

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your difficulties. In general this should be an issue that can be corrected with a revision, but without seeing or feeling your tissues it is difficult to offer definite advice. I would recommend speaking with a series of plastic surgeons to get the best advice, preferably a labiaplasty specialist. Best wishes.

Curtis Wong, MD Redding, CA
2 months ago

You should find a surgeon experienced in labiaplasty locally who you can see for opinions. Photos would help tremendously with providing opinions on what to do next. There are other sites where you can post your photos and get feedback on what can be done as a first step if you do not want to invest in face to face consultations.


Patient Care Center