In this video-based CME activity, Dennis C. Hammond, MD demonstrates the SPAIR mammaplasty technique and discusses how it differs from the Wise pattern technique. A series of videos puts you in the operating room with Dr. Hammond as he prepares and performes this procedure on a patient in real-time. Learn how this expert practitioner makes measurements and surgical markings to ensure optimal aesthetic outcomes in breast reduction and lift and watch him perform a SPAIR mammaplasty, beginning with marking the site to completing final suturing. In addition to demonstrating his techniques, Dr. Hammond explains the reasoning behind his choices and how they produce optimal results.
Upon completion of the online course, the participant should be able to:
- Use a circumverticle pattern to limit the scar to the central portion of the breast and avoid the more traditional long inframammary scar.
- Prepare a patient immediately prior to reduction surgery, including measuring and marking the breast(s), identifying where to position the top of the areolae, and where and how to inject anesthesia for optimal results.
- Explain the reasons for using local anesthetic with epinephrine at the surgical site.
- Create a complementary reduction of skin envelope using the SPAIR technique.
- Assess the patient during surgery and create intraoperative markings.
- Apply the periareolar interlocking technique to repair and manage the periareolar defect, and control the shape of the breast.
Faculty: Dennis C. Hammond, MD
Patient Safety Credit: 0.5
Release Date: 9/1/2011
Expiration Date: 7/1/2022
Estimated time to complete this course: 1.5 hour
Directly provided by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons® (ASPS®)
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The ASPS designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This educational activity is intended for plastic surgery practitioners, residents, and other healthcare professionals interested in translating expanded knowledge into practice for the improvement of patient outcomes in plastic and reconstructive surgery.
Dr. Hammond has no relevant financial relationships or affiliations to disclose. All ASPS staff members managing this activity have no relevant financial relationships or affiliations to disclose. All identified conflicts of interest have been resolved and the educational content thoroughly vetted by ASPS for fair balance, scientific objectivity, and appropriateness of patient care recommendations. The ASPS also requires faculty/authors to disclose when off-label/unapproved uses of a product are discussed in a CME activity or included in related materials.
Return Policy for Downloaded and Viewable Products
Products which are downloaded or viewable after purchase may not be returned. By placing an order you are agreeing to the product return terms and conditions set forth by this site. ASPS Shop Return Policy
Product Code: 16415