ASPS University: Staffing Toolkit
Staffing a Plastic Surgery practice shouldn’t make you lose sleep at night! Joanne Dennison, President of the American Society of Plastic Surgery Professionals (ASPSP), has provided her expertise and narrowed in on the main issues Plastic Surgeons and Office Managers face when it comes to staffing. Where do you start? Who do you need to hire? We will take you through the entire staffing lifecycle from recruiting, hiring, onboarding, managing and offboarding office staff. As an added bonus, this course has printable resources for the entire staffing lifecycle including; job descriptions, hiring evaluation tools, and checklists. Note: Resources are available to view on mobile devices but are best used on computer. This course has been reviewed by ASPS University Chair Nicholas Panetta, MD, FACS and Associate Dean of Practice Management Ash Patel MBChB, FACS.
After viewing this course, the participant should be able to:
- Identify popular avenues of recruitment to use.
- Define elements of the online job posting.
- Differentiate office staff’s minimum requirements and essential duties to include in the job description.
- Define components of each phase of the hiring process.
- Establish consistent interviewing guidelines to ensure smooth hiring process.
- Determine when it is necessary to outsource employment.
- List considerations used to determine the appropriate amount and type of staff needed based on your business needs.
- Execute onboarding of staff using the new employee onboarding checklist.
- Identify standard elements to include in an Employee Handbook.
- Identify documents to be kept in Employee Personnel and Confidential Files.
- Establish professional, educational culture that results in retention of Office Staff.
- Identify steps of the disciplinary action process.
- Determine when each step of the disciplinary action process is used.
- List guidelines to ensuring legal termination of employee.
- Identify key components of the termination meeting checklist.
- Identify offboarding procedure for voluntary termination of employment.
NOTE: This course does not contain audio; the course will launch in a separate browser tab.
The purpose of this course is to provide education and resources to plastic surgeons and office managers related to staffing. Employment and physician practice regulations and laws vary considerably by state, and modification of the resource guide will be required depending on the state(s) in which the surgeon practices. The policies and procedures outlined in the course and resource guide should be reviewed by a licensed attorney familiar with the laws applicable to you and your practice prior to implementation to ensure compliance with all applicable laws. This course is provided for general information purposes only, and ASPS is not responsible for any legal consequences that may arise from the information contained therein.
Joanne Dennison President, ASPSP
Ash Patel MBChB, FACS
AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM: 2.0
Patient Safety Credit: 0
Release Date: 12/20/2019
Expiration Date: 12/23/2022
Estimated time to complete this course: 2 hours
Directly provided by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons® (ASPS®)
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The ASPS designates this enduring material for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This educational activity is intended for plastic surgeons, office managers, ASPSP, residents interested in learning more about the staffing lifecycle.
Joanne Dennison has no disclosures to report. Nick Panetta MD, FACS has no disclosures to report. Ash Patel MBChB, FACS has no disclosures to report. All ASPS staff members managing this activity have no relevant financial relationships or affiliations to disclose. All identified conflicts of interest have been resolved and the educational content thoroughly vetted by ASPS for fair balance, scientific objectivity, and appropriateness of patient care recommendations. The ASPS also requires faculty/authors to disclose when off-label/unapproved uses of a product are discussed in a CME activity or included in related materials.
Return Policy for Downloaded and Viewable Products
Products which are downloaded or viewable after purchase may not be returned. By placing an order you are agreeing to the product return terms and conditions set forth by this site. ASPS Shop Return Policy
Product Code: 28784